If you’re suffering from oily skin then you need to up your cleansing game so you don’t have to deal with blackheads or acne.
Yes, men suffer from oily skin more than women and this has only gotten worse over the years with the rise in pollution and lack of personal hygiene.
While there are many products out there that claim to be best suited for oily skin, there are only a handful that really do a good job and are capable of reducing the oiliness while keeping your skin moisturized and hydrated.
So, which is the best men’s face wash for oily skin?
Based on our reviews and experience, the best and most effective face wash for men with oily skin is the Jack Black Deep Dive face wash. It’s formulated from natural ingredients and does not contain any parabens, harmful chemicals or artificial fragrances making it entirely safe to use for all skin types.
Here are the top 10 best men’s face wash for oily skin.
- Jack Black – Deep Dive Facial Cleanser
- Thrive Daily Face Wash
- Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
- Bulldog Men’s Oil Control Starter Kit
- Brickell Clarifying Gel Face Wash
- Rugged & Dapper Face Wash
- Chamuel Men Daily Facial Cleanser
- Beau Brummell Charcoal Face Wash
- L’Oreal Men Expert Charcoal Cleanser
- Neutrogena Invigorating Foaming Gel Face Wash
Recommended Read: Best Nivea Men’s Face Wash
How we tested the best men’s face wash for oily skin
Our team conducted a closed test on 30 different men with oily skin and monitored their progress over a 4-week period. We checked the quality of the face wash, ingredients, how the skin felt post application, ease of use and even if it helped control blemishes and oiliness.
What to look for in a Face Wash for Oily Skin
Before you buy a face wash for your oily skin, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind. Follow these points if you want to learn how to pick the best men’s face wash for oily skin.
- Ingredients – The most important thing to consider are the ingredients that have been used to formulate the face wash. You’re going to need one that is made up from all natural and organic ingredients and one that does not contain any parabens or sulfates, artificial fragrances or chemicals. Make sure the face wash contains two primary ingredients that specifically reduce oily skin – Salicylic acid and tea tree oil.
- Formula – For those with oily skin, cream will do no good. Instead, you will need a gel based product simply because they are capable of removing dirt and oil from hard to reach regions of your face and do a better job at keeping your skin hydrated as compared to foam based products.
- Price – Lastly, you need to set aside a budget for your face wash. Wasting your money on an expensive product that doesn’t work is not going to do you any good.It is ideal to pick the right product within your budget. This list covers a wide range of affordable and expensive products that you can choose from and the best part about these products is that they do not require you to use much of it and are known to last for up to 2-3 months at a stretch.
Ingredients to seek when buying face wash for men with oily skin
- Hyaluronic Acid – HA is a molecule that’s well known for its anti-aging effects and the ability to heal wounds. It can reduce moisture loss from your sin and will promote healthy cell regeneration.
- Willow bark extract – Willow bark extract is a naturally occurring extract that is obtained from the Willow tree. The bark is used for its anti-inflammatory effects and will help reduce redness and limit the formation of pimples.
- Glycerin – Glycerin is known for its ability to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. It’s derived from plants and you will be able to find synthetic versions of this humectant.
- Salicylic Acid – This is a type of BHA or beta-hydroxy acid that is oil soluble and can easily seep into your skin to eliminate the built-up of excess oil and can strip away dead skin cells from your face. It’s a great ingredient to keep an eye out for if you have sensitive oily skin.
- Niacinamide – Also known as Vitamin B3, Niacinamide is an effective ingredient in face washes for men with oily skin thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. It’s a good ingredient to consider if you have oily skin and are prone to acne breakouts.
Face Wash for Men with Oily Skin – Product Overview
|Jack Black – Deep Dive Facial Cleanser||Overall Best Face Wash for Oily Skin|
|Thrive Daily Face Wash||Best for All-Natural Ingredients|
|Baxter of California Daily Face Wash||Best Premium Men’s Face Wash|
|Bulldog Men’s Oil Control Starter Kit||Best for Combo Deal|
|Brickell Clarifying Gel Face Wash||Best for Oily Sensitive Skin|
|Rugged & Dapper Face Wash||Best for Multi-Purpose Use|
|Chamuel Men Daily Facial Cleanser||Best for Deep Cleansing|
|Beau Brummell Charcoal Face Wash||Best for Activated Charcoal|
|L’Oreal Men Expert Charcoal Cleanser||Best for Budget|
|Neutrogena Invigorating Foaming Gel Face Wash||Best for Exfoliating Capabilties|
Top 10 Best Men’s Face Wash for Oily Skin
Jack Black – Deep Dive Facial Cleanser
Overall Best Men’s Face Wash for Oily Skin
The Deep Dive facial cleanser from Jack Black is by far the most effective face wash for oily skin that we’ve tried. It helps reduce acne an has been formulated with unique ingredients that helps exfoliate your skin while unclogging pores in the process.
You can use the Jack Black as a purifying face mask if you leave the cream on to dry. We found that this helps keep your skin firm and tight so you don’t develop any stress lines.
What I really liked about this face wash is how it leaves your skin feeling noticeably smoother, softer and oil-free than before.
While it’s pretty expensive, the Jack Black Deep Dive is one of the best face washes out there for men and is known to be effective at preventing ingrown hairs so it’s definitely something you should consider.
- Ideal for oily skin and acne
- Exfoliates dry skin
- Prevents ingrown hair
- Won’t dry the skin
- Acts as a purifying mask
Volcanic Ash, Glycolic Acid, Kaolin Clay, Wolfsbane Flower Extract, Rosemary, Green Tea, Olive Leaf Extract, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Sunflower Seed Extract, Marigold Flower
Thrive Daily Face Wash
Best All-Natural Men’s Face Wash for Oily Skin
Here’s another powerful and effective face wash for men with oily skin that has been formulated with all-natural ingredients. I loved how this face wash keeps the skin feeling smooth, hydrated and moisturized.
It is ideal for men with sensitive skin as it is entirely plant-based and you wouldn’t need to use more than a nickel sized dollop to develop a rich lather on your face which is good because it helps you save money in the long run .
This face wash is one of our favorites because of the way it quickly breaks down dirt and oil on our skin. It didn’t take much effort to get done and you can save on time if you opt to use the face wash while having a shower. We also noticed that it had a nice pleasant earthy scent that lingered throughout the day.
- Reduces oil content
- Moisturizes the skin
- All natural ingredients
- Safe for men with sensitive skin
- Great long lasting scent
Natural Fragrance (Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange, Vetiver, Star Anise and Clove Oil), Citric Acid, Juanilama, Fierillo, Argan Oil, Lippia Alba Oil
Baxter of California Daily Face Wash
Best Premium Men’s Face Wash for Oily Skin
This is a premium face wash for men that costs a bit, but is extremely effective at getting rid of excess oil. The Baxter wash uses natural ingredients and does not contain any sulfates, parabens or artificial fragrances.
It will not dry your skin but is more than capable of getting rid of excess oil on your skin while retaining the essential nutrients and moisture levels of your skin.
This product is marketed as a face wash that’s suitable for all skin types, and that’s no joke. The Baxter of California face wash does not contain any harmful chemicals or ingredients and is one of the safe choices for guys with sensitive skin.
We really liked using this product because it worked well even on beards. In fact it’s one of the few face washes that’s safe to use on your facial hair as it can not only cleanse it but with natural ingredients like Castor oil and Aloe, your face and beard will feel softer and more hydrated than before.
- Does not over dry the skin
- Keeps the skin feeling moisturized and hydrated
- Leaves you feeling energized
- Perfect for men with sensitive skin
- Great for acne
Coco-Betaine, Castor Oil, Caffeine, Aloe Leaf Juice powder, Citric Acid
Check it out on Amazon
Bulldog Men’s Oil Control Starter Kit
Best Face Wash Combo with Moisturizer
The Bulldog men’s oil control starter kit is one of my favorite combo on Amazon. Each package comes with one tube of oil control face wash and a second tube of oil control moisturizer that not only clean your skin but exfoliates, cleanses and hydrates your skin so there’s no oil build-up.
It takes a little longer to use this product since you’ve got to apply the face wash and then the moisturizer and this adds a couple of extra minutes to your daily routine.
At first glance you wouldn’t expect it but this product is all natural and has been formulated to keep your sebum levels in check. I found it to be quite refreshing and loved the subtle masculine scent it left behind.
No artificial ingredients or chemicals were used to create this face wash and it’s safe to use on oily skin, combination skin and even for men with sensitive skin.
- Does not over dry the skin
- All natural formulation, free from parabens and sulfates
- Exfoliates and rejuvenates the skin
- Perfect for men with sensitive skin and combination skin
Willow bark extract, fruit extract, witch hazel water, Communis fruit extract
Brickell Clarifying Gel Face Wash
Best Men’s Face Wash for Sensitive Skin
Brickell’s products have been designed for men who suffer from oily skin. It has been formulated from natural ingredients that are beneficial for your skin and help reduce the oiliness while eliminating dirt and impurities.
It’s one of the best face washes in the market for men and is ideal for guys with sensitive skin. There are no artificial ingredients or harmful chemicals that have been used while making this gel face wash and we really enjoyed the fact that it smelled fresh and masculine.
This product is pricey and comes available in a range of travel-friendly sizes which is great especially if you’re someone on the move.
Quite like the Baxter of California, this face wash lathers pretty thick so make sure you use a limited quantity each time if you truly want to get your money’s worth.
- Smells really good
- Eliminates oil
- Long lasting effects
- Prevents acne build-up
- Natural ingredients
Coconut Cleansers, Geranium, Aloe Vera
Rugged & Dapper Face Wash
Best Multi-Purpose Men’s Face Wash for Oily Skin
The Rugged & Dapper is another all-natural face cleanser that energizes, tones and exfoliates your skin so you feel rejuvenated and fresh. This product has been specifically formulated for men and is designed to get rid of dirt, dust and grime build-up on your face.
Not only is the Rugged & Dapper a great face wash, but it doubles up as a facial toner as well and is effective at removing acne and reducing your pore size.
It’s formulated with willow bark and burdock root that gently exfoliate your skin while fighting acne and blackheads thanks to their anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
This face wash is one of the most versatile and effective face washes we tried and the only drawback is that the bottle is expensive and does not come in a range of sizes. All-in-all, the Rugged & Dapper face wash is a must have for men with sensitive skin and those looking for a product with toner capabilities.
- Multi-purpose cleanser
- Long lasting oil control effects
- Acts as a toner
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- Powerful masculine scent
Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Willow Bark, Burdock Root
Chamuel Men Daily Facial Cleanser
Best Deep Cleansing Men’s Face Wash for Oily Skin
Here’s a deep clean face wash from Chamiel Men that’s been formulated to specifically target and eliminate acne, oily skin, blackheads and other facial impurities.
It’s an organic formula that has been infused with rose hip oil and glycolic acid to exfoliate your skin and keep it soft and smooth.
The Chamuel Men daily cleanser also includes orange oil that stimulates cell growth by detoxifying your skin. Glycolic acid has been derived from sugar cane and is beneficial in unclogging pores, brightening and evening your skin tone and is known to prevent ingrown hair.
It might be one of the best products you could possibly try if you’re suffering from oily skin and is not too expensive so it’s like a win-win situation with this one.
The Chamuel Men moisturizes, hydrates and provides your skin with a more supple texture than a lot of other products, so it’s definitely a must try.
- Formulated with moon orchid extract
- Known to soothe the skin
- Affordable product
- Stops acne build-up and opens pores
Antioxidants, Retinols, Magnesium, Vitamin-C, Aloe Vera, Glycolic Acid, Moon Orchid Extract, RoseHip Oil
Beau Brummell Charcoal Face Wash
Best Face Wash with Activated Charcoal
The Beau Brummell face wash is a deep cleansing face wash that uses activated charcoal as its primary ingredient to reduce excess oil and pull out dirt, bacteria, toxins and other impurities in your skin.
It has been formulated using a variety of organic ingredients and smells great. There are no artificial fragrances added nor are there any parabens or sulfates that can cause damage to your skin, especially if you’re a man with sensitive skin.
You can use this product if you’re suffering from blackheads, ingrown hairs, acne, excessive oil build-up or clogged pores. If you’re a man who is suffering from occasional acne breakouts then this is definitely a product to try.
- Ideal for oily skin and acne
- Detoxifying effects for your skin
- Long lasting oil control
- Pump action bottle
Activated Charcoal, Volcanic Rock Pumice, Coconut Charcoal Powder, Citric Acid, Black Pepper Seed Oil, Cedar Wood Oil, Lavender Oil, Vetiver Root Oil, Bitter Orange
L’Oreal Men Expert Charcoal Cleanser
Best Face Wash on a Budget
L’Oreal is a brand we’ve all come to love thanks to their affordable and effective skin-care products. One of our favorites is the extreme charcoal cleanser that has been designed to combat oily skin, dirt, dullness and even clogged pores.
I found that this face wash uses activated charcoal to trap toxins and impurities found in your skin. It absorbs excess oil and you will notice your skin feeling fresh and tight after the first use.
The men expert charcoal cleanser is safe to use on your beard or mustache and will ensure that your skin is kept hydrated throughout the day.
While the key ingredient is charcoal, this face wash contains citric acid, peppermint leaf extract and limonene to help rejuvenate your skin.
- Detoxes and purifies your skin
- Fights acne and limits sebum production
- Safe to use on sensitive skin
- Form makes it easier to apply
Activated Charcoal powder, Sorbitol, Citric acid, Limonene, Linolool, Peppermint leaf extract
Neutrogena Invigorating Foaming Gel Face Wash
Best Invigorating Face Wash
Neutrogena is a world famous skin care brand and the moment I heard that they launched some products for men, I had to get in on it.
Their invigorating foaming gel face wash for men is an anti-bacterial face wash that’s formulated to deep clean your skin and eliminate any dust, debris, excess oil from your pores.
I use it as a pick me up on days I spend out in the sun. All you need is a dime sized amount of gel and your face is left feeling refreshed and energized.
It’s around the same cost as the L’Oreal which is a win in my book considering this face wash does a brilliant job on oily skin and for the fact that it has been formulated using natural ingredients.
- Does not dry your skin
- Oil free formulation
- Leaves you feeling cool and relaxed
- Has a light masculine scent
- Very affordable and highly effective
What causes oily skin?
Our skin is naturally oily as we have special glands that produce a type of oil called sebum. This helps keep your skin soft and hydrated, but there are times when your sebaceous glands work on over-drive and this can result in excessive oil production. It can be caused either by genetics, age, or air pollution.
When should you start using face wash?
You can use face wash anytime to clean out your pores and keep your skin feeling hydrated and fresh. There’s no specific timing on when to start using face washes. Ideally, doctors recommend using a face wash as early as 13-15 as this is when your skin is more prone to acne and other blemishes or damages.
How often should you cleanse if have oily skin?
In order for your face wash routine to be effective, you will have to wash it twice a day if you’re a sweaty individual. This will ensure that your skin remains fresh and free from any inflammation. But, do not wash your face too often or too many times in a day as that can lead to heightened dryness.